Missouri geologists attending the 39th Annual Meeting of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists in St. Louis in 1954 were called together by Oliver R. Grawe, Missouri School of Mines (UMR), for the purpose of organizing the Association of Missouri Geologists. (See a PDF copy of Grawe's original proposal here.) A committee was appointed for the preparation of a constitution and by-laws, to nominate a slate of officers, and to arrange for the first meeting. Those on this committee were Richard B. Aylor, Missouri State Highway Department; James C. Bryce, Washington University; Garrett Muilenburg, Missouri Geological Survey; Frank G. Snyder, St. Joe Lead; and Rudy C. Valenta, General Refractories. The first annual meeting, hosted by the St. Joe Lead Company, was held in Bonne Terre on October 10-11, 1954.